For those of you not in the know, today, Friday, August 5th is International Beer Day 2011.
So what is International Beer Day 2011? Well per the official website it’s not what many of you might think it is, yet another day for the beer drinking couch potatoes of the world to partake in another 12 pack. No! Instead it’s a day for the beer drinking couch potatoes of the world to get off of their couches and thank those beer makers who take pride in creating the sometimes delicious frothy beverage.
The purpose of IBD is threefold:
1) To gather with friends and enjoy the deliciousness that is beer.
2) To celebrate the dedicated men and women who brew and serve our beer.
3) To bring the world together under the united banner of beer, by celebrating the beers of all nations and cultures together on this one remarkable day.
As I was thinking about this holiday I couldn’t help think about my own beer history. Quite honestly I can say that only recently have I developed a taste for beer. I think that perhaps beer initially was ruined for me because of my former status as a poor college student. During those days the only beer my budget could handle was nick-named “The Beast,” and as you can imagine no beer nick-named “The Beast” really creates a beer lover. But this former non-beer lover married a beer lover. Through my married years I have been exposed to and tasted many a beer on a quest to find a beer that I could love too. And within this past year at a fun local hangout called Fassler Hall I discovered my current favorite beer, Warsteiner Dunkel. It’s a German dark wheat beer and although the Beer Advocate only gives it a B-, I find it to be the perfect beverage to partake during this crazy heat we’ve been having as of late.
In thinking about my own favorite beer I began wondering what other beers my friends enjoy. So I decided to ask them, “What is your favorite beer?” I received a wide variety of great answer, and because there was such a wide variety I thought I’d share them with you.
Google+’s Favorite Beers
Facebook’s Favorite Beers:
My Husband’s Favorite Beers:
But perhaps my favorite response was from my husband who answered via e-mail because he still refuses to get on Facebook, Twitter, etc. But before I show you his answer I’m going to tell you a few facts about us.
- I know some Spanish because I lived in Venezuela as a child. My husband knows more Spanish than I do because you used to be able to watch professional soccer only on the Spanish cable channels.
- We were married 5 years before we had kids. I wanted to have kids at 3 years. My husband requested that we wait to have kids until we could finish our trip to World Cup ’98 in Europe. My first child was born in ’99, 9 months after we got back from our trip.
- I am a soccer Mom. My husband is a soccer Dad, soccer coach, soccer assistant coach, and until he turned 40 and blew out his knees was a soccer player.
- We are currently saving money for and planning for a family trip to Brazil. Soccer fans will know why.
Now that you know these facts, here are my husband’s picks for favorite beers.
- Dos Equis Amber – Favorite Mexican beer; I like amber beers.
- New Castle Brown Ale – Good nutty flavor
- Bud Light – Refreshing beer on hot day; sponsored US Soccer
Need I say any more?
Happy International Beer Day 2011!
What’s your favorite beer?
Kelly Kinkaid, professional blogger and freelance writer, enjoys writing about such topics as stretching a dollar, personal finance, diet and fitness, and living a life well lived. She spends all of her spare time in her many roles including but not limited to soccer, basketball, swimmer, band, and piano mom, runner and wife. You may contact her via e-mail kellyology(at)gmail(dot)com.